Yes, yes I am!!! I've always been a foodie (this requires another separate post) but my never ending love & addiction to the Japanese Cuisine with all it's raw seafood is an issue that I don't mind admitting to or having one small bit! Surely it's not a serious issue but more of an expensive, delicious, passionate, even a little bit orgasmic and out of this world addiction that gives me, as most of those close to me know, great pleasure & satisfaction!
I don't remember exactly the first time I had sushi but it must have been some ten or twelve years ago back when Sushi was first introduced in Lebanon & when it wasn't as trendy & posh as nowadays! What I do remember vividly is that being a Sushi Virgin I mistook the Wasabi for Avocado & put a big chunk in my mouth confidently & was on fire instantly!!! I know that many reading this are now laughing out loud at my stupid act! Don't worry I still laugh my ass off every time I remember that incident! That big mistake was my initiation to the Sushi World and ever since that day I never looked back and have been going forward full fledged eating my way through as many sushi joints as humanly possible!
In fact when I first met the love of my life back in 2003 & learned that he was an adamant vegetarian since 1989 it almost was a deal breaker and the end of the fairytale which would have ended like this: " ... and they didn't get to live happily ever after just because Prince Charming was a vegetarian which meant no more sushi eating for Princess Shadia which was somrhting she couldn't handle!"
But luckily I got my happy ending since Wadie, at first, used to go with me to Japanese Restaurants where he only ate a green salad & some rice or noodles while I feasted on all the yummy rolls I could get my hands on. Then after I was stuffed & satisfied we used to go to one of his favorite restaurants so that he could have a decent meal!!! The sacrifices that Wadie goes through just to make me happy will one day soon earn him a statue built by non other than me!!!
Then a few years back we discovered Sakura and befriended the chef who complied to prepare for the husband of his weekly favorite customer (Moi) an assortment of vegetarian rolls made to order from various veggies & fruits on a clean surface (not touched by any seafood). The chef also conceded to fry Veggie Tempuras in clean oil not touched by any seafood or any other kind of meat. From that day on my life changed & I became a happier person since my hubby was with me enjoying what I enjoyed instead of complaining every time I mentioned sushi!!!
Another milestone I had to cross was when I got pregnant. The first question I asked my obstetrician, wasn't if everything was OK but rather if I could continue eating Sushi while pregnant?! Thank God he said yes as I don't know what I would have done if the answer was No! I would imagine that Tia & Dory would have been born with a dozen birth marks scattered on their bodies shaped like an Octopus Sushi, crazy or rainbow Makis, Salmon or Yellow Tail Sashimis & big Temaki cones. Thank God we dodged that catastrophe!!!!!
My addiction to Sushi will probably one day drive us all to immigrate to Japan or as a cheaper option to hire a full time Japanese Chef who will prepare for me (daily) Sushi for breakfast, lunch, dinner & as a midnight snack!!! In the mean time I go out to have Sushi at least once or twice a week so that I don't go into withdrawal!
Well the first step to find the right track is to admit your problem or addiction! Right? So here we go again, just in case you didn't get it from the first sentence, in front of God & all of you my friends & readers:
" I Shadia Abaza, being of sound mind (Never been clinically proven) , fully admit that I am a chronic Sushiholic!"
What do I plan to do as a second step now that I came out of the closet & declared to the world my addiction? Nothing!!!
I plan to continue enjoying the All You Can Eat Buffets at Sakura every weekend & to continue eating my way out through all the other Sushi restaurants in Kuwait until I move to Montreal where I will revert back to the All You Can Eat Menu at Kanda for $14.99 (that is what I used to pay back in 2011) where they will penalize you $1 for every Sushi or Maki roll you leave in your plate, which to their chagrin I never did!!! (Suckers!!!). ;-)
What is your addiction???? Mine is Sushi since every sushi & maki roll I pop into my mouth knows how to excite my palate & make love to my taste buds!!! ;-)
lollll I love it :P
ReplyDeletelove your clarity simplicity and love you declaration of addiction :)) you go on writing :)))
ReplyDelete