Monday, January 27, 2014

Being Zen!!!



I just finished watching an episode of the Carrie Diaries in which Carrie learns the Art of Being Zen & tries to apply it to her life. For those of you who need a more elaborate explanation: Zen is a form of meditation with a focus on the mindful awareness of the present moment. Being Zen is about doing right for the mind, body, and soul. It can help you relax, have a positive outlook on life, and find a higher plane of spiritual worth.  Now this is more my cup of tea as I know a little bit about meditation & Transcendental Meditation in particular since my husband Wadie has been practicing it & teaching it for more than 20years!!!

I first learned about TM (Transcendental Meditation) on my first blind date with Wadie (This requires another post by itself) when he shared with me that he was a TM teacher. Wadie then asked me if I would like him to teach me all about TM to which I replied yes and that apparently was the right answer to his trick question as I discovered later on when Wadie confessed that me learning TM & practicing it was a prerequisite for our Fairy Tale ending with:" ... and they lived happily ever after!!!" 

Between you & me I had ulterior motives to when I first replied yes because saying yes gave me an excuse to spend more time with Wadie as I was  already head over heels for him by then. ;-)

But joke aside TM really works. It is easy, practicing it takes 20 minutes (twice daily) sitting comfortably with your eyes closed & its benefits, which I have experienced up close & personal, are huge. With TM one experiences inner peace & clarity from the start. It reduces stress & anxiety and this in turns allows the body to naturally dissolve stress and strain and allows us to become healthier. Meditators tend to feel less stressed and notice that they deal more calmly with tense situations. Well this is natural because when stress is reduced, benefits like better sleep and clearer thinking also naturally develop. 

I have verified personally the benefits of Meditation just by living with Wadie and have seen how the daily practice of the TM technique produces a wide range of positive effects on a person's mind, body, and behavior. I am not joking. Wadie hasn’t missed one day without practicing Meditation since 1989 I think & I can vouch of the benefits of that daily practice first hand!!! Guys, we’ve been married for almost 9 years (we knewn each other for two years before that) and in the past eleven years we haven’t fought once!!! Well I did fight but only with myself as Wadie simply doesn’t get mad. He’s the COOLEST ( Cool as in temperature) man I known!!! Nothing upsets him to the extent of losing his temper and shouting, every problem has a solution for him no matter how big or small it is. He really has no stress in his life & is at peace with himself & the entire world. 

I am without doubt married to a sweet loving man who adores me, in spite of my fiery character, (He calls me ZOUMBARAK) and who always remains cool and unruffled under all circumstances. I am living in bliss but I admit that I do need one more thing to make it a total bliss: Force myself to practice my TM daily to become as COOL as my beloved hubby is!!! ;-)


“Transcendental Meditation opens the awareness to the infinite reservoir of energy, creativity, and intelligence that lies deep within everyone... The practice of Transcendental Meditation creates a natural situation in the mind so that the mind entertains right thoughts, useful thoughts, thoughts that are cherished by nature and whose fulfillment is worked out by all the laws of nature."- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

No comments:

Post a Comment