We really don't know what we have signed up for when we take the decision of becoming parents. We really don't fully appreciate what our parents went through to raise us until we become parents ourselves. We really don't fully grasp what being a mom & dad is all really about until we become one.
I write this post with my son Dory sleeping next to me as he was too sick to go to the Nursery today. Every now & then I lightly put my hand on his forehead to see if the fever has crept back. How many times did my mom sit just like I am doing now worrying about how sick we were? How many times she wiped our tears & consoled us? How many times our parents rushed us to the doctor? How many time they stayed up with us while we studied for an exam or waited for us to come back home from a party or just simply held our hand and smiled making us feel loved, safe & that they will always be there for us?
Endless times is the answer to all the above questions... And here we are after so many years doing the same for our own kids.
It's true that we sometimes might whine about how difficult of a job parenthood is and we might also get frustrated & shout at our kids, and feel like running away to a deserted island to enjoy some peace and quiet but I bet that no parents in their right mind would trade their children for all the wealth in the world!!!
Dory just opened his eyes for a few seconds, looked at me & smiled before drifting back to sleep and I wouldn't trade that sweet smile & loving look he gave me for anything.
My children might act sometimes like little demons, they might sometimes drive me crazy with their shenanigans, they might frustrate me with their lack of listening skills and their expertise in pushing my buttons every now & then but they remain MY children, the apple of my eyes, my most precious possession, and they are & will remain my proudest achievement in life.
Whomever said that the most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck are the arms of your children obviously knew what he was talking about.
Tia & Dory I might shout at you, be mad at you, lecture you, punish you, make you cry & maybe drive you to hate me for being mean to you sometimes but believe me I am doing all that only because I truly and deeply LOVE YOU.

No comments:
Post a Comment